Have a safe and happy Fourth of July holiday from all of us at Burgos and Associates!
As always, remember to be safe when it comes to Fourth of July fun that often includes alcohol, and of course, fireworks.
To keep safe this July 4th here are some safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety
Recommended Safety Tips
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
Also, if you drink alcohol, don’t drive, or have a designated driver. Law enforcement will be out in droves over the holiday with their DUI Task Force looking to make arrests for DUI, so be careful.
If you or a family member has been arrested or charged with a DUI or serious traffic violation, contact the experienced criminal defense attorneys at Burgos & Associates by calling (504) 488-3722 or filling out our online form.